Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Las Vegas - NABSHOW 2010

Early April 2010, I flew all the way from Vietnam with my younger brother to America for the NAB show in Las Vegas. I must admit it was the biggest show I ever seen. In fact, it's the largest media conference in the world.

There were 3 gigantic buildings. Each building took us one whole day to wondering around. All the big players were there:
  • Google
  • Yahoo
  • Microsoft
  • Adobe
  • Alkamine
  • Sony
  • Panasonic
  • Canon
  • Apple
  • ...
From the NAB show, I learned that current market is about:
  • 3D TV
  • HD TV
  • Broadcasting/Content Delivery
  • Encoding
  • Workflow
  • Handheld device
However, my unforgettable moment is not the NAB show. It was the 7.2 Magnitude Earthquake while I was in California. Initially, I was on the 4th floor at Huntington Beach Hotel. I want to get a better view so I moved to level 6th. At about 3:40PM. The hotel started to shake. I almost fell off my bed. That was the biggest earthquake I ever encountered.  

That's my brother Cong and the VNN press. We were on the top level of the RIO building.
We met a number of executives here including
Tony, the former PlayBoy CTO,
Khuong Nguyen, Deputy president of VTC, one of the largest multimedia corporation in Vietnam,
and a number of other executes which I cannot recall their names.
Some of them flew to Las Vegas using their private JET.
I couldn't believe that they paid $US16,000 per night for this wing.
That's me at the NAB. We were looking at the IO Drive. A SSD hard drive that can do up to 238,000 IOPS. This is very good for database application.
This is our data center in the heart of Los Angeles. We should have ran the cable properly. Too bad, I usually thousands of miles from data center. I can't do anything about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment