Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Vietnam - 3. Welcome to the real world

Please check my previous post if you haven't read it Standardizing.

After a few lectures about standardizing, simplifying, planning... Our staffs start working on the new project. I am quite busy designing other system whilst taking care of the servers. I let the staff work alone for one whole week!

Week 1:
Objective: Get the job done using the standards.

Results:
I expect the front end of the site to be completed. Yes, it is! I tested the site and found a few bugs. I dug into the code to fix it. Omg, I cannot believe that I could not understand what's going on! Here are some of the problems found:
  1. Big fat controllers
  2. Logic found in views
  3. Models not being used much
  4. Zend_Form is not used at all
  5. Only a handful number of functions is found
  6. Variable name has no meaning
  7. LOOP in LOOP in LOOP
  8. Hardly see any comment
  9. Global variables are widely used
  10. Magic numbers everywhere
I decided to inspect the CSS code, I found the following problems:
  1. Inline style everywhere
  2. ID selectors are widely used instead of class selectors
  3. Many ID selectors having the same name
  4. Normalization not being used
  5. Short hand not being use much
  6. Magic numbers everywhere, they are not even nice number. Imo, nice number are number that easy to remember and can divide many other numbers. Odd number should be avoided. 
The biggest problem is none of the standards specified is followed.

Well, one thing I cannot deny is they work hard and willing to learn. Remember, professionals built the Titanic, amateurs built Noah's Ark.

No comments:

Post a Comment